Livestock Welfare Processor
Livestock Welfare Processor
Program purpose statement
This program helps meat processors to improve animal handling and ensure humane slaughter at provincially or federally licensed meat and poultry facilities. This activity supports the growth and sustainability of Alberta’s livestock industry and provides a stable, socially acceptable business environment.
The Growing Forward 2 Livestock Welfare Processor Program helps the industry in three key areas.
- Enhanced profitability for processors. The program helps processors adopt new or improved animal welfare production practices that result in better quality meat and stronger profits.
- Increased market competitiveness. Implementing humane animal processing practices is an important priority for the livestock industry. A commitment to performance standards and new technologies that improve animal welfare will support the industry’s long-term growth.
- Public confidence in Alberta’s livestock sector. When Alberta processors address public concern about the care and handling of animals, particularly during slaughter, the livestock industry as a whole benefits.
How are costs shared?
The Livestock Welfare Processor Program shares costs with Alberta’s red meat and poultry industries as follows:
- Up to 80% of the cost of humane stunning equipment, subject to a maximum amount per applicant.
- Up to 50% of the cost to improve handling equipment and systems, subject to a maximum amount per applicant.
- Up to 50% of the cost of staff training and education, costs related to, assessments and planning for new livestock welfare practices, initial system audits and consulting fees by independent industry advisors subject to a maximum amount per applicant.
Am I eligible for this program?
Processors that are licensed and operating in Alberta’s red meat and poultry industries, including mobile processors, are eligible to apply for funding.
How do I apply for this program?
- Determine whether you are eligible. Refer to the Livestock Welfare Processor Program’s Terms and Conditions.
- Ensure that the project activities are eligible. Eligible activities are listed in the program’s Terms and Conditions.
- Complete the Application Form Parts A & B. Once completed, email your application and supporting documents to email@example.com or mail to:
Growing Forward 2 Livestock Welfare Programs
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
Animal Health and Assurance Division
J. G. O’Donoghue Building
308, 7000-113 Street
As of July 25, 2016, the Growing Forward 2 Livestock Welfare Program office will be temporarily relocated to the Legislature Annex Building at 9718 - 107 Street in Edmonton.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact:
To find out more about the program, or to speak with the Program Coordinator, please contact the Ag-Info Centre at 310-FARM (3276). Or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
“The biggest problem with the old system was that it was really difficult and stressful for the hogs. Without the Livestock Welfare Program, the upgrades would have been beyond our reach. The costs exceeded $300,000. The Livestock Welfare program paid for almost one-third of it, or $100,000.”
Andy Hofer, Iron Creek Colony
The Livestock Welfare Processor Program is one of many programs available under Growing Forward 2, a five-year federal-provincial-territorial initiative focused on three areas: research and innovation, competitiveness and market development and adaptability and industry capacity.
You may also be interested in …